CINCINNATI -- Reds right fielder Jay Bruce was given a break from the starting lineup vs. the D-Backs on Tuesday. Chris Heisey started in right field in Bruce's place.
"He's feeling OK. He's not looking OK is he?" manager Dusty Baker said. "Exactly, that's why he's getting the day off. It's either pay me now or pay me later and look up his record after the All-Star break and guys that don't get a break. I told him to chill and show up at 5 o'clock and don't hit too much."
Bruce, who appeared in last week's All-Star game in Kansas City, is 3-for-16 (.188) in four games since the break and 8-for-45 (.178) in July. He entered the day batting .246 overall and his 18 home runs and 57 RBIs were ranked in the top 10 of the National League.
"Sometimes you're doing too much," Baker said. "It's getting late. You need your energy. You need your strength. Sometimes 110 percent is too much sometimes. It's mental and emotional when you're not getting hits."
Baker, Jocketty discuss course of action with Votto
CINCINNATI -- It's a question that has swirled since news broke Monday that Reds superstar Joey Votto needed arthroscopic surgery on his left knee:
Why didn't Votto have a MRI exam sooner? The test, which wasn't performed until Monday, revealed a tear in the medial meniscus cartilage. Votto was originally injured sliding into third base on June 29 at San Francisco.
Reds manager Dusty Baker and general manager Walt Jocketty defended the club's course of action.
"They didn't think it was what it was or as serious as it was," Baker said on Tuesday. "It happens all the time. We've got one of the best medical staffs around. It's easy to say 'How come you didn't do this or that?' It didn't merit or warrant doing that at that time."
Votto had successful arthroscopic surgery on Tuesday and is expected to miss three-to-four weeks. He exited the June 30 game vs. the Giants in the fifth inning when the knee continued to bother him and then missed two full games at Los Angeles. He was 9-for-32 (.281) after he returned.
"He was playing through it," Jocketty told MLB.com. "It just got to the point where it was tough for him to play with it so he asked the doctor for the MRI."
Jocketty did not feel there was a need for the club's medical staff to suggest to Votto that he get an MRI at the onset of the injury.
"We didn't know it was problem," Jocketty said. "He played quite a few days without it bothering him. Then it started to bother him again more and more."
As for the hindsight of knowing then what the Reds know now?
"I'm not going to speculate on that," Jocketty said.
Reds call up Redmond for added bullpen depth
CINCINNATI -- When first baseman Joey Votto was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Tuesday, the Reds decided to add a 13th pitcher when right-hander Todd Redmond was recalled from Triple-A Louisville.
Redmond's last name was over the No. 58 on his back, but it may as well read "insurance." Cincinnati wanted backup for Tuesday starter Johnny Cueto, who is returning from a blister on his right index finger. Long reliever Alfredo Simon already pitched three innings on Monday and was unavailable Tuesday.
"We need innings," manager Dusty Baker said. "I was in that bullpen deep and early [Monday]. We've got a bunch of guys like Simon that threw three innings yesterday. A couple of guys have thrown two out of three days or three out of four days."
It's been a whirlwind for the 27-year-old Redmond, who was traded from the Braves to the Reds on Saturday for shortstop Paul Janish. The Braves' Triple-A affiliate at Gwinnett was playing the Reds' Triple-A Louisville club at the time.
"I cleaned out my locker, switched lockers and I was waving to the other guys on the other side," Redmond said.
Redmond went from Gwinnett to Columbus to play Louisville's next game and was supposed to start on Tuesday for the Bats.
"I'd rather be here," he said.
Upon getting the call, Redmond had to make the 90-minute drive from Columbus to Cincinnati.
"They just want me for a long relief role type of thing. That's all I know," Redmond said. "As long as I'm here, I'm fine. I'm just happy to be here."
Redmond, who has never pitched in the big leagues, but was once called up by Atlanta and not used, was 6-6 with a 3.58 ERA in 18 starts for Gwinnett this season. His stay on the 25-man roster for Cincinnati is tenuous. The Reds still need an extra hitter, but Baker would not speculate on plans.
"We'll see what we can do tomorrow," Baker said. "We have things in the works. If I say 'yeah,' and the bat doesn't come, then you look bad."
To fill the void of Votto, Baker moved Brandon Phillips into the third spot of the order, up from fourth.
"He's the one guy that can move all over the lineup," Baker said. "I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of help, suggestions-wise, but I do the best I can with what I've got."
With a lot of attention moving to younger players like Todd Frazier, who replaced Votto at first base, Baker attempted to protect his guys on Tuesday.
"Don't put too much pressure on them that's already on them. Please," he said. "I know you always have to grab somebody all the time, but they're kids. Let them play and let them enjoy. You don't have to ask them questions every day about this or that they don't have the answers to. They're still trying to find their way through the woods without a flashlight. Just let them play."