Rays Press Release
Colonel Scott V. DeThomas to throw out ceremonial first pitch at season opener vs. Blue Jays
Colonel Scott V. DeThomas, Commander, 6th Air Mobility Wing, MacDill Air Force Base, will throw the ceremonial first pitch prior to the Tampa Bay Rays season-opening game against the Toronto Blue Jays at Tropicana Field on Monday, March 31. Game time is 4:10 p.m.
As Commander, DeThomas is responsible for more than $2.8 billion in base property and capital assets and controls an annual budget exceeding $249 million. MacDill AFB represents a major economic influence within the Tampa Bay community, with a total economic impact of over $5 billion annually.
Colonel DeThomas is a native of Rhode Island and received his commission through the Air Force Academy. He has commanded at the group and squadron level and is a command pilot with more than 3,000 hours in various aircrafts. Prior to his current position, he served as Commander, 387th Air Expeditionary Group, Southwest Asia.
Previous first pitches at Rays home openers:
- 1998 Hall of Famers Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Monte Irvin and Al Lopez
- 1999 Larry Doby
- 2000 Wade Boggs
- 2001 St. Petersburg Mayor David J. Fischer
- 2002 United States Army General Tommy Franks
- 2003 Jon Gruden and Rich McKay, Tampa Bay Bucs
- 2004 Winky Wright, World Junior Middleweight Champ
- 2005 Racing legend Michael Andretti
- 2006 Al Lopez, Jr., Al Lopez III and Al Lopez IV
- 2007 Governor Charlie Crist
- 2008 Governor Charlie Crist and Buccaneers' great Mike Alstott
- 2009 Governor Charlie Crist
- 2010 Admiral Eric Thor Olson, Commander, US Special Ops
- 2011 Florida Governor Rick Scott
- 2012 Jim Dundee, son of the late boxing legend Angelo Dundee
- 2013 Rays Senior Advisor Don Zimmer
Tickets to the opener are available in a handful of sections at Tropicana Field. The team expects its ninth consecutive Opening Day sellout. Tickets are available at all regular Rays outlets including raysbaseball.com, the Tropicana Field Box Office, the Rays Tampa Store located at 400 N. Tampa Street, all Ticketmaster outlets or by calling 1-888-FAN-RAYS.