05/10/2013 9:02 PM ET
Hanson placed on restricted list
By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com
CHICAGO -- Angels starter Tommy Hanson, who continues to deal with the aftermath of his step-brother's death, was placed on the restricted list prior to Friday's game, with Barry Enright starting in his place during the series opener against the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field.
The Angels, who called up lefty Michael Roth in a corresponding move, are unsure how long Hanson will be away from the team.
"We wish Tommy well and we fully support him," assistant general manager Matt Klentak said. "He has the full support of the entire Angels organization."
Hanson missed one start while on the bereavement list, reserved only for deaths in the family, from April 22-28. Unlike the bereavement list, where players must miss a minimum of three games and a maximum of seven, there's no real limit for how long a player can be on the restricted list. The restricted list is reserved only for special circumstances, with teams having to seek approval from Major League Baseball and the MLB Players' Association before deploying it.
Last year, Torii Hunter was on the restricted list from May 14-29 while dealing with a sexual-assault case involving his teenage son, Darius McClinton-Hunter, who eventually was not indicted by a grand jury.
Hanson gave up two runs (one earned) in six innings of the 19-inning game against the A's upon his return on April 29, then gave up three runs on seven hits in five innings to the Orioles on Saturday, putting his ERA at 3.86 through five starts.
The 26-year-old right-hander's next turn would come Wednesday, and with Jered Weaver still on the disabled list, Garrett Richards back in the bullpen and Jerome Williams already a starter, the Angels don't have many options to replace him. Prior to Friday's start, the last time Enright pitched more than 2 2/3 innings was April 15 in Triple-A.
"First and foremost is to get Tommy where he needs to be, get back here and do what he loves to do," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "How long it's going to take, I don't know."
Aybar, Downs not expected to hit disabled list
CHICAGO -- For now, at least, it looks like Angels shortstop Erick Aybar and lefty reliever Scott Downs will avoid the disabled list, despite exiting Thursday's game against the Astros with injuries. But both remain day to day and were unavailable for Friday's series opener against the White Sox.
Downs' right foot, which he hurt while fielding a sacrifice bunt in the eighth inning of an eventual 7-6 win over the Astros, is "still a little tender," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. Downs, 37, missed a couple of games earlier this month after experiencing pain in his right side while dodging a comebacker in Oakland on May 1.
Aybar, who experienced tightness in his right hamstring while running down the first-base line in the top of the fourth, rode the stationary bike at U.S. Cellular Field and was hopeful of playing at some point in the weekend series. The Angels' leadoff hitter returned from the DL just 10 days ago after missing three weeks with a bruised left heel.
"You can't do anything about it," Aybar said in Spanish. "Let's see how I feel tomorrow."
• The Angels' charter flight from Houston to Chicago late Thursday night was a very bumpy one, with Mike Trout (@Trouty20) and Michael Kohn (@MichaelKohn58) tweeting about all the rough turbulence. Ernesto Frieri said it was the roughest he's been on in the Major Leagues.
• Peter Bourjos, out since sustaining a strained left hamstring on May 1, continues to get treatment while staying away from baseball activities in Arizona. The center fielder could be back by late May or early June, but his timeline is still very unclear.
• Kevin Jepsen (strained lat) plans to throw his first bullpen session on Saturday.
Alden Gonzalez is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his columns and his blog, Gonzo and "The Show", and follow him on Twitter @Alden_Gonzalez. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.