6/11/2013 8:15 P.M. ET
Burnett shut down, won't throw for a month
By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com
BALTIMORE -- The good news from Sean Burnett's Monday visit with Dr. James Andrews is that he won't require surgery -- not yet, anyway.
The bad news is his left elbow, which has landed him on the disabled list twice and limited him to 13 appearances in the first 10 weeks, will be shut down. Burnett was ordered to stay away from throwing for a month. If he feels good after that, he can activate his arm again, and if that goes well, he can start throwing off a mound a couple weeks later.
In short: Burnett won't be back anytime soon.
The 30-year-old left-hander, signed to a two-year, $8 million deal in December, was "devastated" to find out.
"The way I try to go about my business is to be available every day and do the best I can," Burnett said. "Right now, I can't do anything. Coming into a new team, it's disappointing. I feel like a huge disappointment, to tell you the truth."
On Monday, Burnett traveled to Birmingham, Ala., to visit Andrews, the noted orthopedic surgeon who performed his Tommy John surgery in 2004 and removed two bone spurs from his left elbow this offseason. He was given a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) shot and told to be patient.
Burnett missed 22 games while on the DL from April 28 to May 21 with what the team called left forearm irritation.
During that time, on May 4, he visited with Andrews, who confirmed the diagnosis, but told Burnett there was no structural damage and gave him an anti-inflammatory. A week after returning, he landed on the DL once again, this time with a left elbow impingement he said was unrelated to the previous ailment. He was expected to be activated this past Monday -- the first day he was eligible -- but has been relegated to throwing only off flat ground.
"I went down there [on May 4] to try to get back as soon as possible, and get back and try to help the team win, and it didn't work out," Burnett said. "So, instead of trying it my way, we're going to try it the doctor's way this time and hopefully this is a better outcome. Still a bit of a question mark, but it's looking very positive."
Burnett was among baseball's more durable relievers over the previous five years, appearing in an average of 68 games per season while posting a 3.22 ERA and a 1.28 WHIP. The 30-year-old left-hander said he's still "up in the air" about what exactly his injury is.
Asked if he's worried he'll need a second Tommy John surgery, Burnett said: "It's popped in my head over the last couple of weeks, yeah. That's the biggest scare. But I did take the doctor's word. He was very positive on it. And he's a guy I deal with all the time."
Angels place Coello on DL, recall De La Rosa
BALTIMORE -- It was June 1, while appearing in a home game against the Astros, when Angels reliever Robert Coello first started to feel something in his right shoulder.
"I thought it was something minor, and I just kept throwing through it," Coello said. "I should've cut it off ahead of time."
The shoulder pain worsened, eventually tacking off some velocity while adding more runs to his ERA. So on Tuesday, the Angels placed Coello on the 15-day disabled list with shoulder inflammation, recalling reliever Dane De La Rosa -- 4.05 ERA in 27 appearances earlier this year -- to take his spot in the bullpen.
Coello, who will undergo further evaluation in Southern California on Thursday, used his fastball, curveball and hybrid forkball-knuckler to pitch 13 1/3 innings of one-run ball to start his Angels career, striking out 19 batters and walking only two in that span.
But the 28-year-old right-hander has been charged with three earned runs in two-thirds of an inning in each of his last two appearances, on Wednesday against the Cubs and on Sunday against the Red Sox. In that time, his fastball velocity also dropped ever so slightly, from 92-93 mph to 90-92.
"I haven't felt anything coming out," said Coello, who has no history of shoulder issues but did miss the last three months of last year with a sore elbow. "The velocity has dropped a little bit, and I just have no finish."
Three Angels 'Tribute for Heroes' finalists announced
BALTIMORE -- Major League Baseball and PEOPLE Magazine announced Tuesday its "Tribute for Heroes" finalists, a national initiative recognizing veterans and military service members.
Each club has three finalists, which fans can vote on at TributeForHeroes.com. The 30 winners will be included in the All-Star Week festivities and recognized during the pregame ceremony leading up to the Midsummer Classic at Citi Field on July 16. A "Tribute For Heroes" overall winner will be featured in the July 22 issue of PEOPLE, which hits newsstands Friday, July 12.
Justin Verlander of the Tigers, Nick Swisher of the Indians, Barry Zito of the Giants, Jonny Gomes of the Red Sox, Brad Ziegler of the D-backs, Chase Headley of the Padres and Craig Stammen of the Nationals assisted in selecting the 90 finalists, along with retired Gen. Peter Chiarelli, MLB and PEOPLE Magazine.
The Angels' three finalists are Kevin Burciaga (Upland, Calif.), Cory Kamerschak (Lancaster) and Ryan Canada (Groton, Conn.).
Third baseman Alberto Callaspo was held out of the Angels' lineup for Tuesday's game against the Orioles, giving way to Brendan Harris. And while manager Mike Scioscia pointed toward the quick turnaround of a Wednesday afternoon game as the biggest reason he sat, Callaspo has also played uncharacteristically shaky defense lately, committing six errors in a span of eight games.
Alden Gonzalez is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Gonzo and "The Show", and follow him on Twitter @Alden_Gonzalez. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.